Region D, 1A Semi Final
Grundy Golden Wave (7-4, 3-0) 4-seed
Chilhowie Warriors (11-0, 5-0) 1-seed
The Warrior train is rolling, but the visiting Wave from Grundy hope to derail that train. Friday’s semi final showdown has Grundy making the trek to Warrior Stadium in hopes of pulling off the shocking upset and ended the Warrior’s holes of a state title.
Chilhowie has made a habit of steamolling opponents en route to 11 straight wins, all coming by at least 23 points. The offensive attack, led by dual threat quarterback Zack Cale and Greg Sanchez, the Warriors all time leading rusher, has yet to be slowed down. The defense has been the best unit in Region D, allowing a mere 66 points in 11 games.
But the home team will have their hands full stopping All-Region running back Gabe Fisher. Fisher has rushed for over 300 yards in four separate games this year and is the most potent offensive threat Grundy possesses. The Wave defense is not as dominant as the Warrior defense and will need to play their best game of the year in hopes of slowing down the Chilhowie big play offense.
Grundy may keep up early, but look for the Warriors to use their superior depth and explosive offense to advance to the Region D title.
Tale of the Tape:
- 11-0 on season, 5-0 in Hogoheegee
- 6-0 at home, 5-0 on road
- Offense scores 51 points per game
- Defense allows 6 points per game
- 0-1 lifetime against Grundy (Only meeting-1949)
- 7-4 overall, 3-0 in Black Diamond
- 3-2 on road, 4-2 at home
- Offense scores 31 points per game
- Defense allows 23 points per game
- 1-0 against Chilhowie lifetime
- Grundy coach Craig Plymal is 1-2 in the postseason. This is his first appearance in second road.
- Warriors coach Jeff Robinson is 6-3 in postseason and 1-1 in second round.
- The match up pits the two leading rushers in 1D against each other.
7:00pm, Friday, November 16th at Warrior Stadium in Chilhowie, BE
For complete playoff coverage, visit coalfieldsports.com
Seth. Sports fan. Big Stone Gap native. Freelance writer. Knows the difference between a 3-4 and a 4-3 as well as the species of the symbiote from Spider-Man (Klyntar). A decade plus covering local high school sport in one capacity or another. Takes himself very, very seriously. Hire me!!!!