Despite delay, Ridgeview rolls Shelby Valley, 49-0

Coming into Friday night’s clash with the Shelby Valley Wildcats, all the talk was centered around if the Wolfpack could slow down the Wildcats rushing attack.  The Pack slowed down that attack and then some, in a dominant performance over their eastern Kentucky counterparts.  Ridgeview came away with a 49-0 victory in a contest which did not conclude till 10:49 p.m. on Friday night due to three separate lightning delays.

The Wolfpack set the tone for the evening on the opening kickoff. Matthew Sexton fielded the kick and raced down the sideline for a 70-yard touchdown as fans were still finding their seats.  After a Wolfpack kickoff and a Wildcats three and out, play halted with 10:39 left in the opening frame.  After a 30-minute delay, play resumed and Sexton found the end zone again on a 34-yard scamper to put the Pack up 14-0. The second delay occurred at the 5:01 mark of the first quarter.

As the players returned to the field to begin a warmup period, an ominous lightning bolt sent the teams back to the safety of the locker room.  Finally after a nearly an hour and a half delay, action resumed shortly after 9:00 p.m.

In the second quarter, as both teams continued to run the clock, it was nearly halftime before the Pack would strike again.  Sophomore sensation Trenton Adkins found the promised land on a two-yard carry with 1:39 left in the half.  It would not take long for the Pack to blow the game wide open.  On the first play after the kickoff, the Wildcats threw a pass behind the line of scrimmage that the Wolfpack pounced upon.  Sexton accomplished the hat trick on the very next play from 10-yards out. Going into the locker room, the Pack were in control 28-0.

In the second half, it was more of the same.  Adkins scored his second rushing touchdown of the night on a three-yard dash.  The scoring play was set up by a long Jacob Hensley interception return.  McKenzie Sproles got in on the fun on the next Wolfpack possession scoring from five yards out.  The final tally of the night came from reserve running back Derrick Mullins on a four-yard scamper and the end finally came with the Pack in control, 49-0.

Leading the way for the Pack was Trenton Adkins, who finished with 126 yards on 22 carries for two scores and one reception for 25 yards.  Matthew Sexton continued his early season onslaught with 63 yards on five carries and two scores complimented by a kickoff return for a score.  For the Wildcats, Clay Morgan finished the contest with 48 yards on 11 carries.  The Wildcats were 0-12 through the air.

Shelby Valley returns to action on Friday night as they host Knott County Central.  The Wolfpack begin Mountain 7 district play this Friday night against their bitter rivals, the Warriors from Wise Central.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

All content is the property of the owners and writers of unless otherwise specified. For advertising inquires please contact